Originally at: https://sleephub.com.au/podcast-55/
Episode 55: Medication in Pregnancy
Pregnancy can be a challenging time, particularly for women with sleep disorders such as narcolepsy who rely on medications to manage symptoms. There isn’t clear information to guide either women or their healthcare providers on what to do during pregnancy. To discuss managing women with narcolepsy during pregnancy we spoke to Dr Michael Thorpy from Montefiore Medical Centre, New York.
Dr Moira Junge (Health Psychologist) and Dr David Cunnington (Sleep Physician) host the monthly podcast, Sleep Talk – Talking all things sleep.
Leave a review and subscribe via Apple Podcasts
Audio Timeline / Chapters:
- 00:00 – 02:36 Introduction
- 02:36 – 26:29 Theme – Medication in Pregnancy
- 26:29 – 27:46 Clinical Tip
- 27:46 – 30:40 Pick of the Month
- 30:40 – 32:36 What’s Coming Up?
Next episode: Sleep and Pain
Links mentioned in the podcast:
- Prescribing medicines in pregnancy database – TGA (Australia)
- Drug Label Search – FDA (USA)
- Dr Michael Thorpy – Bio at Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Survey of experiences of women with narcolepsy in conception and pregnancy – Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine
- Management of narcolepsy during pregnancy – Article by Michael Thorpy in Sleep Medicine
- Modafinil and Armodafinil registry data – Note in Reactions Weekly June 2019
- Review of sleep medication use in pregnancy and breastfeeding – Chest
- Database on drug use during breastfeeding – LactMed (USA)
- Leaders who devalue sleep – Sleep Health
- NITE study
- Webinar series – Australasian Sleep Association
Dr. Michael Thorpy is Director of the Sleep-Wake Disorders Center at the Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, New York. Both a clinician and a well-published researcher, Dr. Thorpy serves as Professor of Clinical Neurology at Albert Einstein College of Medicine. In addition, Dr. Thorpy served on the National Sleep Foundation (NSF) Board of Directors and founded and directed the NSF’s National Narcolepsy Registry, which was located at Montefiore Medical Center. He is past Chairman of the Sleep Section of the American Academy of Neurology. He is President of the New York State Society of Sleep Medicine (NYSSSM). He has published extensively on narcolepsy, insomnia, and sleep disorders. His 14 print books include “The Encyclopedia of Sleep and Sleep Disorders”. He has published more than 100 peer-reviewed articles, including publications in journals such as The New England Journal of Medicine. Dr. Thorpy’s computerized textbook on sleep medicine, SleepMultiMedia (available on DVD-ROM), is the only one of its kind.
Dr Moira Junge is a health psychologist working in the sleep field, who has considerable experience working with people with sleeping difficulties in a multidisciplinary practice using a team-based approach. Moira is actively involved with the Australasian Sleep Association (ASA) and a board member of the Sleep Health Foundation. She has presented numerous workshops for psychologists and is involved with Monash University with teaching and supervision commitments. She is one of the founders and clinic directors at Yarraville Health Group which was established in 1998.
Connect with Moira on Twitter – @MoiraJunge
Dr David Cunnington is a sleep physician and director of Melbourne Sleep Disorders Centre, and co-founder and contributor to SleepHub. David trained in sleep medicine both in Australia and in the United States, at Harvard Medical School, and is an International Sleep Medicine Specialist, Diplomate Behavioral Sleep Medicine and Registered Polysomnographic Technologist. David’s clinical practice covers all areas of sleep medicine and he is actively involved in training health professionals in sleep.
Need more information about how you can sleep better?
At Sleephub we understand the struggle people endure with sleeping problems which is why we have created a comprehensive FAQs page with information for those seeking information about sleep disorders and potential solutions.
from SleepHub https://sleephub.com.au/podcast-55/