Top 15 crazy but interesting facts on soccer, football history
As soccer is the most popular game in the world, we all think that we know clearly about this game. But the truth is, most of us know partly or are unaware of its history, tournament, rules and so on. Here in this article, we make a list of 15 soccer, football facts that any fans is sure to love. Enjoy!
Football, soccer history, tournament, rules
football, soccer facts
1. The largest soccer tournament
The World Cup is the biggest soccer tournament in the world. It is held every four years in a different country. Billions of people watch the televised games as the national teams from countries around the globe battle it out for soccer supremacy.
2. The earliest versions of soccer
No one knows exactly when soccer was created, but the earliest versions of the game can be traced back 3,000 years.
3. Other name of soccer
Soccer is the most popular game, sport kind in the world. In many countries it is known as “football”.
4. The first American professional soccer league
The USSA was the first American professional soccer league. They played from 1919 for two years. They were paid $0.35 every time they scored.
5. The first soccer balls in China
In China, the first soccer balls were made from sewn clothing that was filled with rubble. In Europe during the Middle Ages, soccer balls were made from inflated pig bladders.
6. The maximum number of players on a soccer team
The maximum number of players on a soccer team is 11. Some of the different positions are: goalkeeper, center-back, sweeper, fullback, wingback, center-midfielder, defensive midfielder, attacking midfielder, winger, forward, striker, and stopper.
7. Time for an international soccer game
An international soccer game is 90 minutes long. The 90 minutes is divided in two 45 minute halves.
8. Players aim to score goals without using their hands
The aim of soccer is to score as many goals during a game as possible, all without using one’s hands. The only player allowed to use his hands is the goalie. The other players mainly use their feet to move the ball across the field, also known as the pitch
9. The first official soccer rules
The first official soccer rules were formed in 1863 by the English Football Association. Though the rules have changed over the years, the basic game remains the same.
10. Socce popularity in the world
Soccer is the most popular and watched gamed for entertainment in the world. There are around 265 million soccer players and 5 million referees all over the world. Around 3.2 billion people worldwide watched the 2010 final World Cup in South Africa.
11. Women’s soccer popularity
Women started playing soccer around the same time as men did in England. However, originally men were the main players in the game. Women’s soccer began to become extremely popular in the 90s.
12. Running back and forth on a basketball court
Not many of us can image the fact that in one game it is common for a player to run approximately 6 miles. This would be equal to running back and forth on a basketball court 350 times.
13.Over 200 teams attempt to qualify for the World Cup
The World Cup is celebrated all over the world. Qualification for the finals begins up to two years before the World Cup. For the 2010 FIFA World Cup tournament, 204 teams entered to vie for a coveted spot.
14.The first goalkeeper to win the Most Valuable Player of the World Cup
In 2002, Germany's Oliver Kahn became the first goalkeeper to win the Most Valuable Player of the World Cup.
15. The fastest red card in football history
The fastest red card in football/soccer history was 2 seconds. Lee Todd was sent off for foul language after he exclaimed “Fuck me that was loud” after the starting whistle.
- Interesting Cristiano Ronaldo Facts - Sport Facts (Friday, 28/10/2016 02:10)
- World Series quick facts you had no idea about (Tuesday, 25/10/2016 02:10)
- A wide range of amazing swimming facts - Sport facts (Friday, 14/10/2016 02:10)
- 2016 World Cup of Hockey and things you should know (Wednesday, 14/09/2016 10:09)
- Robbie Gould was released by the Chicago Bears after 166 games (Monday, 05/09/2016 04:09)
- Top 11 random interesting facts about Paralympics (Thursday, 25/08/2016 11:08)
- English Premier league 2015/16: Facts and figures of the season (Tuesday, 23/08/2016 10:08)
- English Premier League transfer facts: 5 things to know about Paul Pogba's... (Tuesday, 23/08/2016 09:08)
- Everything you need to know about Refugee Olympic Team and Athletes (Monday, 22/08/2016 09:08)
- Surprising fun facts and figures about Summer Olympics 2016 in Rio (Tuesday, 16/08/2016 09:08)