Surprising fun facts and figures about Summer Olympics 2016 in Rio
There's been almost 2 weeks since the opening ceremony of 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio, the carnival capital of the world. As the world's biggest and the most expected sport event, Olympics definitely has many interesting facts and figures that are sure to blow your mind.
Rio 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil
Well, do you want to know all about those great facts? Keep scrolling down, I promise you that the things below here are all really worth reading.
- The 2016 Rio Games are the first Olympics to be held in South America – and just the third to be held in the Southern Hemisphere. The city won its bid in 2009, beating out Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo.
- There are a total of 6225 male athletes and 5137 female athletes competing at this year's Olympic Games .
- Organisers will prepare 60,000 meals per day to feed the athletes.
- The Olympic Village dining hall runs the length of 4 Olympic swimming pools and can accommodate around 250,000kg of food each day.
- With a total of 23 gold medals after 4 Games in a row, American Michael Phelps has stepped in history of modern Olympics as the most successful Olympic athlete ever.
- The youngest competitor at the games is Nepal's Gaurika Singh (13 years – DOB 26/11/2002), who is competing in the 100m backstroke.
- The oldest competitor is New Zealand's Julie Brougham (62 years – DOB 20/5/1954), who is competing in the dressage.
- The biggest team at the Rio Games is the USA (556), followed by host nation Brazil (469), Germany (424), Australia (421) and China (404), while the smallest one is Tuvalu, an island nation in South Pacific area. Their sole competitor is Etimoni Timuani in the men's 100m (athletics).
- Nauru, Somalia, Swaziland, Bhutan, Liberia and Mauritania each have two competitors.
- Bhutan is the only nation whose team comprises all women. Bhutan has two competitors at the Games - Karma Karma in the archery and Lenchu Kunzang in the 10m Air rifle.
- A team of athletes who have been forced to flee their countries will be allowed to compete for the first time. The (IOC) says five to 10 refugees are expected to qualify and compete under the Olympic flag.
- Some of the best competitor names in Rio include A Little Romance (Canada), Doesn't Play Fair (USA) and Boogie Woogie 6 (Australia) – they are all horses in the equestrian events.
- The name of the Olympics mascot, Vinicius, pays tribute to Brazilian musician Vinicius de Moraes.
- Vinicius is a mix of different Brazilian animals. His design takes inspiration from pop culture, as well as video game and animation characters, and represents the diversity of the Brazilian people and culture, as well as its exuberant nature.
Source: rio2016.olympics.com.au, nbcnews.com
- Interesting Cristiano Ronaldo Facts - Sport Facts (Friday, 28/10/2016 02:10)
- World Series quick facts you had no idea about (Tuesday, 25/10/2016 02:10)
- A wide range of amazing swimming facts - Sport facts (Friday, 14/10/2016 02:10)
- Top 15 crazy but interesting facts on soccer, football history (Saturday, 08/10/2016 02:10)
- 2016 World Cup of Hockey and things you should know (Wednesday, 14/09/2016 10:09)
- Robbie Gould was released by the Chicago Bears after 166 games (Monday, 05/09/2016 04:09)
- Top 11 random interesting facts about Paralympics (Thursday, 25/08/2016 11:08)
- English Premier league 2015/16: Facts and figures of the season (Tuesday, 23/08/2016 10:08)
- English Premier League transfer facts: 5 things to know about Paul Pogba's... (Tuesday, 23/08/2016 09:08)
- Everything you need to know about Refugee Olympic Team and Athletes (Monday, 22/08/2016 09:08)