Why Are Summer Days Longer Than Winter Days? - Science Facts
Have you ever wondered that summer days are longer while winter days are shorter. The Earth's orbit is elliptical and always moves, so it divides our planet into two halves: the Northern Hemisphere and the Southern Hemisphere. When it is summer in the Northern Hemisphere, it is winter in the Southern Hemisphere.
The Earth is tilted 23.4 degrees! This tilt is the reason that days are longer in the summer and shorter in the winter. The hemisphere that’s tilted closest to the Sun has the longest, brightest days because it gets more direct light from the Sun’s rays. One hemisphere doesn’t stay tilted closer to the Sun all year, however.
Why are summer days longer than winter days?
Because Earth always moves. It orbits the Sun, making an oval shape. One orbit takes one year. Because the Earth is tilted, one hemisphere will be closest to the Sun for part of the year. But as Earth continues orbiting the Sun, that tilt puts the other hemisphere closer to the Sun. In the Northern Hemisphere, the longest day of the year, called the summer solstice (SOAL-stiss), happens around June 21, because that’s when the North Pole is tilted closest to the Sun. The opposite happens around December 21: the South Pole is closest to the Sun, so the Northern Hemisphere has its shortest day of the year. And, the Southern Hemisphere is having its own summer solstice.
Following to check out more interesting, amazing science facts.
- Amazing dementia facts you should know (Thursday, 24/11/2016 05:11)
- Amazing Blood Donation Facts (Wednesday, 23/11/2016 03:11)
- Amazing Unknown Facts about Zombies (Thursday, 17/11/2016 05:11)
- Interesting Facts About Urine (Thursday, 17/11/2016 03:11)
- Why does caffeine keep awake? (Thursday, 17/11/2016 10:11)
- How to get better sleep? - Tips for better sleep (Monday, 14/11/2016 05:11)
- Top Interesting Facts About Nail Polish (Saturday, 12/11/2016 05:11)
- How to reduce stress and anxiety? - Ways to reduce stress (Saturday, 12/11/2016 02:11)
- What causes stress? - Stress symptoms (Friday, 11/11/2016 05:11)
- Things You Didn’t Know About Lipstick - Lipstick Facts (Friday, 11/11/2016 02:11)