15 Buddhism Facts
Buddhism is the dominant religion in the East. It is a religion that encompasses various traditions, beliefs, spiritual practices mainly based on teachings attributed to Buddha. This religion comes with 3 major extant branches including Theravade Buddhism, Vajrayana, and Mahayana Buddhism. Get to know more about Buddhism religion, history, Buddhist beliefs, or where did buddhism begin with our list of Buddhism facts.
Buddhism facts - Religion facts
With over 360 million followers, Buddhism is considered to be the fourth largest religion in the world.
Buddhism was founded in the north-eastern part of India (Between India and Nepal)
The followers of Buddhism religion are better known as Buddhists.
Buddhists do not believe in a god or gods. Neither do they worship the Buddha; they do however, follow the teachings of the Buddha.
A Nepalian Prince by the name of Siddhartha Gautam is considered to be the founder of this religion. It was started around 520BC. He was born in a very rich family. At the age of 29, he left his family and kingdom in the quest for peace and enlightenment.
The prince attained enlightenment under a fig tree or bodhi tree which is situated in Bodh Gaya, Bihar.
The word Buddha comes from the language Pali (one of the most ancient languages in the world) means: The one who has awakened.
The parts of the world in which Buddhism is largely followed are China, Japan, Korea, and Southeast Asia.
The three basic teachings of this religion, also known as the “Three Jewels” are Buddha, Dharma, Sangha. Buddha refers to Sakyamuni, Dharma refers to the teachings of Sakyamuni, and the Sangha are monks who follow Dharma.
According to the teachings of Buddhism, nothing in this world is permanent, everything is only temporary.
The three basic teachings of Buddhism religion are wisdom, concentration, and discipline.
The place of worshipping for Buddhism is known as a monastery which is a type of meditation hall.
The sacred scriptures of this language are collectively known as Pali Canon and they consist of different Mahayana Sutras.
The three delusions according to Buddhism are ignorance, desire and anger.
Candles and incense sticks are lit during worship, they symbolize light (knowledge).
Check out for more interesting, fun, weird facts
- Interesting Facts about Ancient Greece - Ancient Greece Facts For Kids (Tuesday, 22/11/2016 02:11)
- What is the main religion in Thailand? (Thursday, 03/11/2016 01:11)
- Indian religion - How many religions in India? Main, major religions? (Thursday, 23/06/2016 09:06)
- What is the plural of hero? You think it is heros? (Wednesday, 11/05/2016 03:05)
- Christianity Religion Facts and History (Thursday, 26/05/2016 03:05)
- Random Judaism Facts For Kids - Jewish Religion Facts (Monday, 25/04/2016 11:04)
- Random Facts - The Holocaust Facts (Monday, 25/04/2016 10:04)
- Islam religion facts (Wednesday, 20/04/2016 05:04)
- Interesting facts about Hinduism – Religion facts (Wednesday, 20/04/2016 09:04)
- Interesting unknown facts about Saints (Wednesday, 23/03/2016 05:03)