Top 7 most poisonous plants in the world
There are many deadliest plants in the world that can spell doom for those who unfortunately ingest or come in contact with them. The toxic can be found from all parts of the plant. Although there are many, to the extent of this article, we only refer to top 7 poisonous plants in the world.
World's poisonous, deadly plants
1. Ricinus communis (Castor Oil Plant, Castor Bean)
the seeds harbor an incredibly toxic chemical
The seeds harbor an incredibly toxic chemical called ricin, it only takes one or two seeds to kill a child and up to eight to kill an adult. Ingestion of the seeds can lead to burning sensations in the mouth and throat, intense abdominal pain, and bloody diarrhea within 36 hours, and can lead to death within 3-5 days if left untreated.
2. Tobacco (Nicotiana Tabucum)
Tobacco contains the toxic alkaloids nicotine and anabasine
All parts of the plant, especially its leaves, contain the toxic alkaloids nicotine and anabasine, and can be fatal if eaten. Despite its designation as a cardiac poison, nicotine from tobacco is widely consumed around the world and is both psychoactive and addictive. Tobacco use causes more than 5 million deaths per year and can be found in many places around the world.
3. Abrus Precatorius (Rosary Pea)
it's able to kill an adult with as little as three micrograms
If the seed is scratched or chewed, it very well might be the deadliest plant on the planet as it's able to kill an adult with as little as three micrograms (less than the amount contained within a single seed). Even when the seeds are used as bracelet or necklace beads they pose a huge threat, as jewelry makers have died after pricking their fingers on the drill bits used to make the tiny holes in the seeds.
4. Oleander (Nerium oleander)
all parts of the oleander plant are deadly
All parts of the oleander plant are deadly and contain lethal cardiac glycosides known as oleandrin and neriine. If eaten, oleander can cause vomiting, diarrhea, erratic pulse, seizures, coma, and death, and contact with the leaves and sap is known to be a skin irritant to some people. Indeed, the toxins in oleander are so strong that people have become ill after eating honey made by bees that visited the flowers! Fortunately, it's hard to be found in nature.
5. Water Hemlock (Poison Parsnip)
the toxic highly concentrated in the roots
It contains a toxin named cicutoxin, which is known for causing seizures if ingested. The toxin is found in all parts of the plant but is most highly concentrated in the roots, especially in the spring season. Other symptoms include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pains, tremors, and confusion. The ultimate cause of death is usually respiratory failure or ventricular fibrillation and can occur mere hours after ingestion.
6. Aconitum (aka monkshood, wolfsbane, and devil's helmet)
accidental ingestion can be fatal
In humans, accidental ingestion can be fatal; the plants contains appropriately named aconitine neurotoxins and cardiotoxins, which lead to gastrointestinal complications, motor weakness, and heart and lung paralysis.
7. Manchineel (Little Apple of Death)
it contains phorbol — a strong skin irritant
In addition to the deadly fruit that grows on its branches, nearly every part of this tree is loaded with powerful toxins, especially the sap which contains phorbol — a strong skin irritant. It only takes a minuscule amount of sap to make the skin break out in blisters.
- Little known moss facts that you had no idea about (Tuesday, 01/11/2016 11:11)
- Collection of interesting plant facts and information for kids (Tuesday, 27/09/2016 11:09)
- One bad apple spoils the bunch - Is it just a metaphor? (Friday, 02/09/2016 03:09)
- Beautiful, colorful, small, simple flower tattoos, tatoo designs (Wednesday, 14/09/2016 09:09)
- Life hacks - How to make lavender oil (Friday, 15/07/2016 10:07)
- Health benefits of almonds - Interesting facts about plants for kids (Friday, 17/06/2016 02:06)
- Flower meanings, meaning of flowers - Flower and plant facts (Wednesday, 15/06/2016 01:06)
- Most interesting facts about chili peppers (Chilly, chily, chile pepper) (Tuesday, 31/05/2016 09:05)
- Papaya tree, fruit, leaves nutrition and health benefits (Wednesday, 25/05/2016 05:05)
- Cucumber plants facts, nutrition, and health benefits (Wednesday, 25/05/2016 02:05)