Little known moss facts that you had no idea about
Moss is no doubt an amazing creature in the world. There exists a dozen of little known facts about moss that you had no idea about. Let’s along with us fill in holes of your missing information and facts about it via this below article.
Background info about moss
Mosses are group of fuzzy plants that include about 12.000 species throughout the world. Moss can be found in different habitats but it usually prefers shady areas of woodlands and forests where provide enough water. Moss can grow both on the trees and on the ground, but it can be also found on the rocks, under the water, on the clay…
Little known moss facts
Little known moss facts
1. In nature, mosses are small, soft plants that are typically 1–10 cm (0.4-4 in) tall, though some species are much larger.
2. Mosses were used as bandages during the First World War to prevent blood loss. Mosses were also used to soothe the infection since they contain chemical with anti-bacterial properties.
3. The process included in moss reproduction. Male sperm cells swim to join the female egg. One sperm cell unites with the female egg cell. The process begins again. The fertilized egg grows into a sporophyte. The sporophyte capsule bursts.
4. The largest different between moss and other plants is that mosses do not have vascular tissue (special kind of plant tissue that is used to transport water and nutrients through the plant). For this reason, mosses lack root, stem and flowers.
5. The mosses do not have flowers or seeds, and their simple leaves cover the thin wiry stems. At certain times mosses produce spore capsules which may appear as beak-like capsules borne aloft on thin stalks.
6. Moss lives near the water, it’s because male and female reproductive cells travel to each other and merge in the water.
8. Mosses are indicators of clean environments caused they can grow only in no pollution places.
9. Without water, mosses can survive for weeks and then soak it up like a sponge when it rains.
10. Moss lifespan is not fix, it depends on the species. It ranges from couple to 10 years.
- Top 7 most poisonous plants in the world (Friday, 07/10/2016 11:10)
- Collection of interesting plant facts and information for kids (Tuesday, 27/09/2016 11:09)
- One bad apple spoils the bunch - Is it just a metaphor? (Friday, 02/09/2016 03:09)
- Beautiful, colorful, small, simple flower tattoos, tatoo designs (Wednesday, 14/09/2016 09:09)
- Life hacks - How to make lavender oil (Friday, 15/07/2016 10:07)
- Health benefits of almonds - Interesting facts about plants for kids (Friday, 17/06/2016 02:06)
- Flower meanings, meaning of flowers - Flower and plant facts (Wednesday, 15/06/2016 01:06)
- Most interesting facts about chili peppers (Chilly, chily, chile pepper) (Tuesday, 31/05/2016 09:05)
- Papaya tree, fruit, leaves nutrition and health benefits (Wednesday, 25/05/2016 05:05)
- Cucumber plants facts, nutrition, and health benefits (Wednesday, 25/05/2016 02:05)