Garlic breath - Why does garlic make bad breath?
Garlic is a plant in the onion genus. It has been used both for food flavoring and traditional medicine. It is also a very good source of manganese, selenium, vitamin C, and health benefits. However, it often causes our breath smell bad when trying it. So why is that? Just keep reading to find out why garlic causes your breath smell bad, how to get rid of garlic smell, how to get rid of garlic breath. Plants facts, questions and answers.
Why does garlic make your breath smell bad? Questions and answers
Garlic bad smell and breath funny pictures
There are a few things going on to cause this bad smell, but principally the root cause is various sulfuric compounds from the garlic. Initially, most of the bad breath resulting from eating garlic comes directly from the sulfuric compounds introduced into your mouth. Not only that, but garlic actually promotes the growth of some of the microbes in your mouth that already cause bad breath, which further exacerbates the problem.
You may have noticed that even if you brush your teeth, rinse with mouthwash, and other such methods to clean out these compounds and various microbes from your mouth, the bad breath caused by garlic still remains to some extent. This has to do with the fact that some of these sulfuric compounds get metabolized, eventually making their way into your blood stream.
The primary smelly culprit here has been found to be allyl methyl sulfide, which is passed into the blood during the digestive process. Once it’s in your blood, it eventually gets passed out of your body through various bodily excretions, which includes being exuded through your pores and also passed into the air that fills your lungs. So as you breathe, the air goes into your lungs and is contaminated by the allyl methyl sulfide; this in turn causes your breath to continue to smell even if you’ve cleaned your mouth out.
As mentioned, this sulfuric compound will not only find its way into the air in your lungs, but also will be exuded from your pores. This ends up causing your whole body to smell, not just your breath. As you are excreting this sulfide, you essentially are wearing a stinky perfume. This effect lasts as long as it takes for your body to get rid of the stinky sulfuric compounds, which can be anywhere from a few hours to as much as a day after eating the garlic.
Garlic breath and smell funny pictures
Because of the fact that the smelly sulfuric compounds from the garlic are in your blood, there is little you can do to immediately get rid of the smell from eating garlic, other than to mask it with a stronger smell. However, many people swear by parsley and sprigs for getting rid of garlic breath, which is why particularly parsley is often included in many dishes that contain significant amounts of garlic. Another popular cover up is to drink hot mint tea. Further, drinking milk while eating something garlicky has been shown to reduce bad breath and does an even better job if you drink the milk while the garlicky item is still in your mouth and swish it around.
How to get rid of garlic smell, garlic breath?
How to get rid of garlic breath, garlic smell?
Realize that the smell of garlic may stay in your lungs for 24-48 hours (1-2 days) after you eat it. The solution to getting rid of garlic breath isn't as simple as washing your mouth out or brushing your teeth since the garlic smell, isn't just in your mouth.
1. Chew on some fresh parsley or mint leaves.
2. Drink some green tea or cinnamon tea.
3. Drink lemonade or eat a lemon. Meyer lemons are sweet enough to be eaten like fruit. Use homemade lemonade because store-bought lemonades tend to have very little lemon juice in them.
4. Run a stainless steel teaspoon all around inside your mouth. Touch all the skin surfaces, including the entire tongue and the sides! Turn the spoon upside down to get your tongue all the way back.
- Little known moss facts that you had no idea about (Tuesday, 01/11/2016 11:11)
- Top 7 most poisonous plants in the world (Friday, 07/10/2016 11:10)
- Collection of interesting plant facts and information for kids (Tuesday, 27/09/2016 11:09)
- One bad apple spoils the bunch - Is it just a metaphor? (Friday, 02/09/2016 03:09)
- Beautiful, colorful, small, simple flower tattoos, tatoo designs (Wednesday, 14/09/2016 09:09)
- Life hacks - How to make lavender oil (Friday, 15/07/2016 10:07)
- Health benefits of almonds - Interesting facts about plants for kids (Friday, 17/06/2016 02:06)
- Flower meanings, meaning of flowers - Flower and plant facts (Wednesday, 15/06/2016 01:06)
- Most interesting facts about chili peppers (Chilly, chily, chile pepper) (Tuesday, 31/05/2016 09:05)
- Papaya tree, fruit, leaves nutrition and health benefits (Wednesday, 25/05/2016 05:05)