Seven mind-blowing facts of Vietnam - Country facts
It’s unfair enough to say that the following facts are all about Vietnam, but you can get general information about this beautiful country. Here in this article, seven of the most interesting facts about Vietnam will be introduced. Along with that, you can know more about wonderfully interesting and unique things in Vietnam.
7 mind - blowing facts of Vietnam
1. Vietnam is shaped like the letter “S”
Vietnam is shaped like the letter “S”
Our first interesting fact about Vietnam is its shape. We love our funky shaped countries especially ones that resemble glamorous high heels (Italy).
We particularly like the shape of Vietnam because S also stands for Stefan and Sebastien.
2. Speed dating began here
The second of seven Vietnam facts are about speed dating. Speed dating might be a recent fad in the west, but it has been a stable of hill tribe life in Vietnam for decades. Hill tribes from all over the regions will meet at ‘love markets’, where the local young single people will come together with the intent of finding a mate.
3. Vietnam is coffee paradise
Vietnam is coffee paradise
According to the European Coffee Federation statistics, Vietnam is the world’s second largest coffee-producing nation after Brazil, producing 16% of the world’s total coffee (Brazil’s is 40%). Coffee in Vietnam is incredibly tasty, cheap, and the iced version a refreshing drink to cool you down during the warm, humid months.
4. They have their own sport
Takraw, or kick volleyball, is a traditional sport in Vietnam. The development of traditional Vietnamese sports is vital to the preservation of Vietnamese culture. In this sport, a ball is passed from player to player by hitting it with the head and feet. Takraw also is widely played in Laos, Thailand, Myanmar and Cambodia.
5. Bicycles cover the roads
Bicycles cover the roads
There are an estimated 10 million bikes on Vietnamese roads, and that number is climbing every year. That means that there is a bike for every 8 people in Vietnam. In the major cities, bikes make up 90% of vehicles on the roads and yet it was only in the last 4 years that the government have made it compulsory to wear a helmet!
6. Ho Chi Minh's body is on display
Ho Chi Minh (known affectionately as ‘Uncle Ho’) travels 8000 miles every year. This is only peculiar because he has been dead for over 40 years now. The Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum in Hanoi is a strange and interesting place to visit on your travels in Vietnam. His body is on show for the world to see for only 9 months of the year. The Mausoleum is usually shut from September to December as Uncle Ho makes his annual journey to Moscow for ‘maintenance’. Not bad for someone whose dying wish was to be cremated…
7. There are different types of temples
“Pagodas are for worship, temples are for honour.” Vietnam is less famous for its temples than neighbouring Thailand or Cambodia, but they are still a prominent part of its history and culture. But how do you tell the difference between the two during your Vietnam holiday? The Vietnamese pagoda (chua) is regarded as a place of worship where offerings are made. Conversely, the Vietnamese den (temple) is not strictly a place of worship, but more of a monument built to honour a great historical figure.
- Top 12 interesting Paris facts, capital city of France facts (Thursday, 06/10/2016 02:10)
- Which are the most beautiful cities in the world? (Thursday, 06/10/2016 11:10)
- An extensive range of places and things to enjoy in Ibiza (Friday, 16/09/2016 10:09)
- 8 Ibiza new fun facts - slightly different taste of island life (Thursday, 15/09/2016 04:09)
- The White House - President's house facts (Wednesday, 07/09/2016 06:09)
- Collection facts of National Park Service (Thursday, 01/09/2016 04:09)
- Why and when was the Taj Mahal built? Taj Mahal facts, information, architecture (Monday, 27/06/2016 11:06)
- Best Hawaiian islands to visit - Islands of Hawaii and Hawaii facts (Tuesday, 21/06/2016 11:06)
- What does Hawaii mean? How big is Hawaii? Hawaii climate and annexation (Wednesday, 15/06/2016 09:06)
- Interesting cool random Hong Kong facts (Tuesday, 31/05/2016 01:05)