Japan is called the land of rising sun - Why is that?
We called Japan as the land of the rising sun. However, most of us don't really know why is that. Why and when Japan got that name? Just keep reading to find out the answer. Place facts
Why Japan is called the land of the rising sun? Questions and answers
Japan got its nickname from an ancient myth that the island of Japan were the source of the rising sun. Japan, the island country in the Pacific Ocean, is often called the “land of the rising sun.”
It is believed that Japan got its nickname from ancient Oriental folk beliefs that the islands of Japan were the source of the sun.
Long ago, the people of ancient China watched the morning sun rising from the eastern sea, they wrote down stories of gods and warriors that lived on sacred island hidden in the ocean.
Japan - land of the rising sun
The Chinese called the islands “jih pun” (today we say “Japan” instead), which literally means “source of the sun.”
As for the Japanese, old regards claimed that Japan was founded by the Sun Goddess who, along with other gods of nature, made the island her home.
And that is the story of how Japan came to be looked on as the “land of the rising sun.” Japan’s official name is Nihon, or Nippon which in Japanese also means “source of the sun.” – Dick Rogers
The Japanese name for Japan can be pronounced either Nihon or Nippon. Both readings come from the on'yomi. The compound of the word means "base of the sun" or "sunrise" (from a Chinese point of view, the sun rises from Japan); it is of course a source for the popular Western description of Japan as the Land of the Rising Sun. So overall, Both Nippon and Nihon literally mean "the sun's origin", that is, where the sun originates, and are often translated as the Land of the Rising Sun. This nomenclature comes from Imperial correspondence with the Chinese Sui Dynasty and refers to Japan's eastern position relative to China. Before Nihon came into official use, Japan was known as Wa or Wakoku. Wa was a name early China used to refer to an ethnic group living in Japan around the time of the Three Kingdoms Period.
- Seven mind-blowing facts of Vietnam - Country facts (Monday, 24/10/2016 02:10)
- Top 12 interesting Paris facts, capital city of France facts (Thursday, 06/10/2016 02:10)
- Which are the most beautiful cities in the world? (Thursday, 06/10/2016 11:10)
- An extensive range of places and things to enjoy in Ibiza (Friday, 16/09/2016 10:09)
- 8 Ibiza new fun facts - slightly different taste of island life (Thursday, 15/09/2016 04:09)
- The White House - President's house facts (Wednesday, 07/09/2016 06:09)
- Collection facts of National Park Service (Thursday, 01/09/2016 04:09)
- Why and when was the Taj Mahal built? Taj Mahal facts, information, architecture (Monday, 27/06/2016 11:06)
- Best Hawaiian islands to visit - Islands of Hawaii and Hawaii facts (Tuesday, 21/06/2016 11:06)
- What does Hawaii mean? How big is Hawaii? Hawaii climate and annexation (Wednesday, 15/06/2016 09:06)