Interesting cool random England facts for kids
England is a country that is part of the United Kingdom. England shares land borders with Scotland to the north and Wales to the west. Let's find out more about England to know more about England tourism, history, food, football team, travel through our list of interesting facts about England
Interesting cool random England facts
England is the most populated country in the United Kingdom. The other countries that make up the UK are Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
England is bordered by Wales to the west and Scotland to the north.
Map of England - England facts
The population of England in 2011 was around 53 million.
The capital city of England is London. Other major cities include Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool, Newcastle and Leeds.
England includes many small islands such as the Isle of Wight and Hayling Island.
There is only a 34 kilometre (21 mile) gap between England and France and the countries are connected by the Channel Tunnel which opened in 1994.
England was the first industrialized nation after the industrial revolution that began around 1760.
The longest river in the United Kingdom is the River Severn. Located in England and Wales, it stretches around 354 kilometres (220 miles) in length.
The longest river found entirely in England is the River Thames, it flows through London and is slightly shorter than the River Severn at around 346 kilometres (215 miles) in length.
River Thames near London Eye and Big Ben Tower - England facts
The largest lake in England is named Windermere.
The highest mountain in England is Scafell Pike, which stands at around 978 metres (3,209 ft) in height.
England has a large economy and uses the pound sterling as its currency.
English computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee is credited with inventing the World Wide Web.
There have been a number of influential English authors but perhaps the most well known is William Shakespeare, who wrote classics such as Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth and Hamlet.
Funny pictures - England facts
Football (soccer) is the most popular sport in England but others such as cricket and rugby have large followings.
The Summer Olympic Games have been held in London 3 times, in 1908, 1948 and 2012.
The official London home of the British monarch (king or queen) is Buckingham Palace.
- Seven mind-blowing facts of Vietnam - Country facts (Monday, 24/10/2016 02:10)
- Top 12 interesting Paris facts, capital city of France facts (Thursday, 06/10/2016 02:10)
- Which are the most beautiful cities in the world? (Thursday, 06/10/2016 11:10)
- An extensive range of places and things to enjoy in Ibiza (Friday, 16/09/2016 10:09)
- 8 Ibiza new fun facts - slightly different taste of island life (Thursday, 15/09/2016 04:09)
- The White House - President's house facts (Wednesday, 07/09/2016 06:09)
- Collection facts of National Park Service (Thursday, 01/09/2016 04:09)
- Why and when was the Taj Mahal built? Taj Mahal facts, information, architecture (Monday, 27/06/2016 11:06)
- Best Hawaiian islands to visit - Islands of Hawaii and Hawaii facts (Tuesday, 21/06/2016 11:06)
- What does Hawaii mean? How big is Hawaii? Hawaii climate and annexation (Wednesday, 15/06/2016 09:06)