Interesting Facts About Diamonds You Might Not Know
Facts about diamonds - Diamond facts
Owing a diamond ring or diamond-made something is the wish of everyone, especially girls. So, what do you know about it? What isd iamond grading, where are diamonds found? Let's check interesting facts about diamonds you might not know below:
1. The word “Diamond” comes from the Greek word “Adamas” and means “unconquerable and indestructible” -a rather suitable name for the hardest natural substance on earth.
Facts about diamonds
2. Diamonds are billions of years old—in some cases more than three billion years old.
3. Diamonds were originally found and mined in India, Brazil, South Africa, Angola, Botswana, Namibia and Congo.
4. Diamonds are the very hardest natural substance. The only thing that can scratch a diamond is another diamond.
5. To produce a single one-carat diamond, 250 tonnes of earth needs to be mined, which is a testament to just how precious and rare diamonds are.
6. Ancient Hindus used diamonds in the eyes of devotional statues, and believed that a diamond could protect its wearer from danger.
7. Diamonds form approximately 200km beneath the surface of the earth and are pushed to the surface in a matter of moments by volcanic eruptions.
8. During the Middle Ages diamonds were thought to have healing properties able to cure ailments ranging from fatigue to mental illness.
9. Ancient Romans and Greeks believed that diamonds were precious tears cried by the gods or splinters from falling stars.
10. The first known use of a diamond engagement ring took place in 1477, when Archduke Maxmillian of Austria gave Mary of Burgundy a gold ring featuring an M spelled out in diamonds.
11. The diamond is a birthstone for people born in the month of April.
- Unknown cloud facts for kids (Thursday, 24/11/2016 03:11)
- Where Is The Coldest Place on Earth? (Tuesday, 08/11/2016 02:11)
- The Most Creative and Unique Halloween Costumes for This Halloween (Tuesday, 25/10/2016 03:10)
- 6 of the most mysterious and beautiful natural phenomena ever (Thursday, 20/10/2016 03:10)
- Carbon dioxide levels (CO2 levels) now above 400 ppm (Friday, 30/09/2016 10:09)
- How did NASA explain about Harvest Moon from the view of Science? (Saturday, 17/09/2016 04:09)
- Louisiana flooding - The worst natural disaster (Friday, 26/08/2016 05:08)
- Louisiana flooding latest news - People loss and economy damages (Tuesday, 23/08/2016 09:08)
- What was the Dust Bowl? What caused the Dust Bowl? Dust Bowl facts (Friday, 27/05/2016 04:05)
- Can elephants jump? Can elephants swim? Fun facts about elephants (Thursday, 09/06/2016 08:06)