Carbon dioxide levels (CO2 levels) now above 400 ppm
CO2 levels now cross 400 ppm threshold and reach the highest point in millions of years. The increase of carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide is fueling climate change and enhancing green house effect.
Carbon dioxide or CO2 levels reach the highest point
Carbon dioxide, as the gas scientists say is most responsible for global warming reached a significant symbolic milestone in our nature atmosphere this month, the Scripps Institution of Oceanography said.
For the first time, daily and weekly values of carbon dioxide in our planet's atmosphere have remained above 400 parts per million
The increase in gases such as carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide is fueling climate change and making "the planet more dangerous and inhospitable for future generations," the World Meteorological Organization has said.
Increasing amounts of carbon dioxide and other gases are enhancing the planet's natural "greenhouse effect."
The first time in millions years CO2 above 400 ppm
Based on paleoclimatic evidence, the last time CO2 levels reached 400 ppm was millions of years ago, according to the journal Nature Geoscience. A 2009 report in the journal found evidence of carbon dioxide levels of 365 ppm to 415 ppm roughly 4.5 million years ago.
Carbon dioxide is invisible, odorless and colorless, yet it's responsible for 63% of the warming attributable to all greenhouse gases, according to NOAA's Earth System Research Laboratory in Boulder, Colo.
Check out to get more funny random facts about different life aspects.
- Unknown cloud facts for kids (Thursday, 24/11/2016 03:11)
- Interesting Facts About Diamonds You Might Not Know (Wednesday, 23/11/2016 05:11)
- Where Is The Coldest Place on Earth? (Tuesday, 08/11/2016 02:11)
- The Most Creative and Unique Halloween Costumes for This Halloween (Tuesday, 25/10/2016 03:10)
- 6 of the most mysterious and beautiful natural phenomena ever (Thursday, 20/10/2016 03:10)
- How did NASA explain about Harvest Moon from the view of Science? (Saturday, 17/09/2016 04:09)
- Louisiana flooding - The worst natural disaster (Friday, 26/08/2016 05:08)
- Louisiana flooding latest news - People loss and economy damages (Tuesday, 23/08/2016 09:08)
- What was the Dust Bowl? What caused the Dust Bowl? Dust Bowl facts (Friday, 27/05/2016 04:05)
- Can elephants jump? Can elephants swim? Fun facts about elephants (Thursday, 09/06/2016 08:06)