Can elephants jump? Can elephants swim? Fun facts about elephants
In this article, we will find the answer for can elephants jump and can elephants swim. Let's check out to get the answers and interesting, fun facts about elephants, elephants weight. Animal facts. Questions and answers
Can elephants jump?
Have you ever seen an elephant jump? Probably not. And with good reason.
According to elephant facts for kids, the average elephant weighs 8,000 pounds and that’s double the weight of a 2016 Ford F150 pick-up. While a truck might get airborne with sufficient acceleration, the fastest an elephant can move is about 10 to 15 miles per hour. That’s not exactly a big head of steam. Their mass is enormous. Indeed, 8,000 pounds is just the average; elephants can hit the scales at up to 12,000 to 16,000 pounds.
And that mass is perched somewhat precariously on the elephant’s legs. It’s as if four slender columns were holding up a teetering prize-winning pumpkin. It is not a good design for leaping.
If you were to look at an elephant’s skeleton, you’ll see that they’re standing on their tippy toes. All the bones are pointed straight down. That skeletal design supports the weight, but does not allow for an upwards spring from the feet, which is what would be required for jumping.
So now we know that elephants can’t jump.
Elephants can't jump
Can Elephants swim?
Like all mammals (except humans and apes, who have to learn how to swim), elephants are very good, untiring swimmers.
Elephants move all four legs to swim and are able to move quite fast like that. Their big body provides enough floatation while the trunk acts like a snorkel.
Elephants can swim
How do Elephants Swim?
Elephants mostly swim with their face above and their mouth below the water surface. They breathe through their trunk which they use as a snorkel.
Check out for more cool, random, weird but true, crazy, fun, amazing facts, fact of life, fun fact of the day, and funny videos, video clips, funny pictures, images, photos.
- Unknown cloud facts for kids (Thursday, 24/11/2016 03:11)
- Interesting Facts About Diamonds You Might Not Know (Wednesday, 23/11/2016 05:11)
- Where Is The Coldest Place on Earth? (Tuesday, 08/11/2016 02:11)
- The Most Creative and Unique Halloween Costumes for This Halloween (Tuesday, 25/10/2016 03:10)
- 6 of the most mysterious and beautiful natural phenomena ever (Thursday, 20/10/2016 03:10)
- Carbon dioxide levels (CO2 levels) now above 400 ppm (Friday, 30/09/2016 10:09)
- How did NASA explain about Harvest Moon from the view of Science? (Saturday, 17/09/2016 04:09)
- Louisiana flooding - The worst natural disaster (Friday, 26/08/2016 05:08)
- Louisiana flooding latest news - People loss and economy damages (Tuesday, 23/08/2016 09:08)
- What was the Dust Bowl? What caused the Dust Bowl? Dust Bowl facts (Friday, 27/05/2016 04:05)