Fact of the day: Top cool random facts about MTV VMAs
As of right now, 2016 MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs) is taking place at Madison Square Garden, New York. And some first categories have found the new winners, including Drake's Hotline Bling or "This Is What You Came For" by Calvin Harris ft Rihanna, ... Of course, we still have to wait until the last minutes of the show to know full list of 2016 MTV VMAs winners. Now, why don't we learn some very interesting facts about MTV VMAs, history of the awards, the winners of past shows, and so on?
- 2016 VMAs mark the 33rd time MTV has presented the awards show honoring the best music videos of the year. The first MTV Video Music Awards ceremony was held on September 14, 1984.
- New York’s Radio City Music Hall has hosted the VMAs 11 times, more than any other venue. Tonight will be the first time the show will be held at Madison Square Garden.
- In the 33 years of the awards, the ceremony has only taken place outside of the New York or Los Angeles areas just 3 times. Miami hosted In 2004 and 2005, and Las Vegas hosted in 2007.
- The most awarded video in VMAs history is Peter Gabriel’s 1987 Claymation masterpiece "Sledgehammer," which took home 9 VMAs in a single night. While Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" won 7 in 2010, making it the second most awarded video.
2016 MTV VMAs opening performance by Rihanna
- Though she hasn’t won an award in 17 years, Madonna is the most awarded artist in VMAs history. Between 1986 and 1999, Madonna won 20 Moonmen.
- Meanwhile, Beyoncé has the second highest number of VMAs with 16.
- The only people to win Video of the Year more than once are Eminem and Rihanna.
- The 2004 VMAs did not have a host and was surprisingly quite 'uneventful'.
- The 2005 VMAs were the first to have performances in Spanish, when Shakira, Daddy Yankee, Don Omar, and Tego Calderon performed. It was the first time that Spanish videos were nominated at the awards.
- During 33 years of the awards, there are 27 awards categories that have been discontinued, including some notable past categories like "Best Artist Website", "Ringtone of the Year".
- Kanye West famously protesting Taylor Swift's Best Female Video win wasn't the first dramatic public display of dissatisfaction at the VMAs. In 2000, Rage Against the Machine bassist Tim Commerford rushed the stage and climbed the scaffolding after losing Best Rock Video to Limp Bizkit.
Source: buzzfeed.com, awardsandshows.com
- Rock and roll: Relive your past with top 15 amazing rock ‘n’ roll facts (Monday, 24/10/2016 11:10)
- Top Best Songs of Pink Floyd - Music Facts (Friday, 14/10/2016 04:10)
- Will The Beatles Yellow Submarine come out? (Thursday, 13/10/2016 02:10)
- Impressive Billy Gilman performance on The Voice -"When We Were Young" (Wednesday, 21/09/2016 04:09)
- The Beatles: Eight Days A Week and Live at the Hollywood Bowl (Friday, 16/09/2016 10:09)
- Gangnam Style song, music video, and Gangnam Style mean, meaning (Monday, 16/05/2016 09:05)
- Funny music videos to listen to - Bromance (Tuesday, 11/10/2016 11:10)
- Most unique musical instruments in the world (Thursday, 05/05/2016 02:05)
- Interesting sound facts you probably didn't know (Thursday, 05/05/2016 02:05)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Facts For Kids (Friday, 29/04/2016 02:04)