What are the major types of life insurance?
There are many different variables to insurance policies. Check out major types below and choose right type of life insurance for you.
Whole-life policies, a type of permanent insurance, combine life coverage with an investment fund. Here, you're buying a policy that pays a stated, fixed amount on your death, and part of your premium goes toward building cash value from investments made by the insurance company.
Cash value builds tax-deferred each year that you keep the policy, and you can borrow against the cash accumulation fund without being taxed. The amount you pay usually doesn't change throughout the life of the policy.
Universal life insurance
Is similar to whole life with the added benefit of potentially higher earnings on the savings component. Universal life policies are also more flexible in regard to premiums and face value. Premiums may be increased, decreased, or deferred, and cash values can be withdrawn. You may also have the option to change the amount you are insured for, known as the face amount. Universal life policies typically offer a guaranteed* return on cash value. Premiums may be increased, decreased, or deferred, and cash values can be withdrawn.
Variable life and variable universal life are permanent policies with an investment fund tied to a stock or bond mutual-fund investment. Returns are not guaranteed.
A term policy is straight insurance with no investment component. You're buying life coverage that lasts for a set period of time provided you pay the monthly premium. Annual-renewable term is purchased year-by-year, although you don't have to requalify by showing evidence of good health each year.
When you're young, premiums for annual-renewable term insurance are dirt cheap -- as low as a few hundred dollars per year for $250,000 worth of coverage.
As you get older, premiums steadily increase. Level-premium term has somewhat higher -- but fixed -- premiums for longer periods, anywhere from five to 30 years.
Check out What you need to do to buy life insurance here
- How to save money on life insurance? (Thursday, 22/12/2016 03:12)
- Let's protect your family with life insurance (Wednesday, 21/12/2016 05:12)
- International Life Insurance for Expatriates (Tuesday, 20/12/2016 03:12)
- What Is the Oldest Age To Buy Life Insurance? (Friday, 16/12/2016 04:12)
- Think about life insurance sooner rather than later (Thursday, 15/12/2016 02:12)
- 7 things you need to know about term life insurance (Tuesday, 13/12/2016 10:12)
- Things you need to know about whole life insurance (Saturday, 10/12/2016 02:12)
- What is the difference between term and whole life insurance? (Friday, 09/12/2016 01:12)
- What are the different levels of term life insurance policies? (Thursday, 08/12/2016 02:12)
- Ways to Choose the Right Type of Life Insurance (Wednesday, 07/12/2016 02:12)