Egg facts, nutrition, and benefits
Eggs are one of the most nutritious foods money can buy - they are a natural source of many nutrients including high quality protein, vitamins and minerals. A medium egg contains less than 70 calories.
Eggs are naturally rich in vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B12, vitamin D, selenium and iodine. They also contain vitamin A and a number of other B vitamins including folate, biotin, pantothenic acid and choline, and essential minerals and trace elements, including phosphorus.
- Vitamins and minerals
Eggs contain some fat, an essential part of the diet.
Eggs are a good source of high quality protein.
Egg nutrition facts
Egg health benefits
#1: Good source of vitamins
You can get almost 4 types of vitamins packed in a small egg and the Vitamins are – Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), Vitamin B12, Vitamin A and Vitamin E. Vitamin A is good for your eyes and growth, Vitamin B2 is helpful in breaking the foods into energy, Vitamin B12 is important for the production of red blood cells and Vitamin E is beneficial in fighting off the free radicals that might damage the cellular or tissue which can cause cancer.
#2: Good for weight loss
You will be surprise to know that if you have egg for your breakfast then it will help in limiting the calorie intake for the whole day by more than 400 calories. So in this way you will lose up to three pounds or even more each month. Eggs keep your stomach full prohibiting you from munching all the day.
#3: Presence of essential mineral
You will find iron, zinc and phosphorus that are vital for your body and lack of these minerals have proved to make you feel tired and clumsy all day. Then you will find phosphorus in egg which is important for healthy bones and teeth. Zinc helps in keeping your immune system healthy and assists the body in converting food into energy. You will also find some other beneficial minerals in the body like that of iodine – beneficial for making thyroid hormones and selenium which is an antioxidant helps in reducing the risk of cancer.
#4: Improves brain health
Eggs are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamins B12 and vitamin D along with choline which are considered to be the food for brain. It helps in improving memory and Cognitive power. For proper functioning of brain Vitamin B12 is very essential and lack of this nutrient might lead to Alzheimer’s disease.
#5: Good for your eyes
Lutein and Zeaxanthin are present in eggs making it beneficial for eye health. The antioxidant effects helps in strengthening retinas and protect the eyes from free radical damage.
#6: Good for your hair and nails
The protein content in eggs are said to be good for shiny hair and strong nails.
#7: Helps in preventing breast cancer
The choline present in eggs lowers the risk of getting breast cancer.
Egg health benefits
#8: Improves iron deficiency
Another very important nutritional benefit of eggs is that the iron content in egg helps in fighting against the iron deficiency in our body.
#9: Beneficial during pregnancy
It is a healthy food to have during pregnancy as it lowers the risk of unborn child getting any mental health problems later in their life.
#10: Doesn’t increase blood pressure
Eggs are good source of protein and it has nothing to do with trans fat or saturated fat therefore it doesn’t affect the cholesterol level adversely.
- 10 surprising junk foods facts that will empower you to say no to (Tuesday, 11/10/2016 11:10)
- 10 wrong food combinations that can ruin your health (Wednesday, 12/10/2016 05:10)
- The best anti-aging foods that should be included in your diet (Saturday, 01/10/2016 12:10)
- A range of interesting facts on food and nutrition – Fun food facts (Wednesday, 28/09/2016 02:09)
- Zero calorie foods - Foods with no calories (Monday, 26/09/2016 03:09)
- Can sugar go bad? Does sugar go bad? Sugar facts - Food facts (Thursday, 30/06/2016 10:06)
- Can humans eat dog food or cat food? Health facts (Tuesday, 28/06/2016 09:06)
- India food culture - Indian dining etiquette, habits, table manners (Monday, 20/06/2016 11:06)
- Interesting Thailand Food and Thai Cuisine facts (Thursday, 16/06/2016 12:06)
- List of best dog food brands for puppies - Healthy puppy food (Wednesday, 08/06/2016 02:06)