A range of interesting facts on food and nutrition – Fun food facts
Wondering what’s interesting about food and nutrition you use everyday? What foods are popular around the world? Is it true that cooked vegetables can be more nutritious than raw ones? These questions and much more others will be fully answered in the article which is a wide range of interesting and fun facts on food and nutrition. Enjoy!
Top 25 interesting food facts
1. Each parts of the world have their own local cuisine. The diets and general food habits of various cultures depend on social, religious, economic and safety factors as well as the availability of various foods.
2. Ortharexia Nervosa is an eating disorder where the sufferer is obsessed with eating healthy food.
3. Ketchup was used as a medicine in the 1800s to treat diarrhea, among other things.
Ketchup was used as a medicine
4. Apples, pears, cherries and strawberries are all members of the rose family.
5. To make jelly beans shiny, shellac is used, which is made from Kerria lacca insect excretions.
6. Cutting onions releases a gas which causes a stinging sensation when it comes into contact with your eyes. Your body produces tears to dilute the irritant and remove it from your eyes.
7. If you want to speed up the ripening of a pineapple, so that you can eat it faster, then you can do it by standing it upside down (on the leafy end).
8. In the United States, lettuce is the second most popular fresh vegetable.
9. One fast food hamburger may contain meat from 100 different cows.
A fast food hamburger
10. Around 8% of children and 2% of adults have some kind of food allergy, this occurs when the body’s immune system incorrectly assumes a certain food protein is harmful and attacks it. Common examples of food allergies include reactions to peanuts, gluten and shellfish.
11. The most expensive fruit in the world is the Japanese Yubari cantaloupe, and two melons once sold at auction for $23,500.
12. To add nutrition, a lot of milk, juice, and yogurts enrich the food with EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids. In other words, your OJ contains fish oil.
13. The world’s oldest chocolates are 106 years old. A tin of chocolates from the coronation of King Edward VII from 1902.
14. Sugar is the only taste that humans are born craving.
15. Drying fruit causes massive nutrient loss, depleting 30-80% of its vitamin and antioxidant content.
16. Some studies showed that imported produce from the supermarket can have higher nutrient levels than local produce from a farmers’ market.
17. Cooked vegetables can be more nutritious than raw ones. It depends on the vegetable, the nutrient and the cooking method.
18. There is a fact that if you were to eat an apple a day, it would take you over 27 years to try them all.
It takes over 7 years to try all kind of apple
19. Apples float in water, because 25% of their volume is made of air.
20. The largest item on any menu in the world is the roast camel.
21. Pearls melt in vinegar.
22. If you boil beetroot in water, and then massage the water into your scalp each night, it works as an effective cure for dandruff.
23. One of the most hydrating foods to eat is the cucumber, which is 96% water. It may seem to be as both food and drink.
24. An average American will eat the equivalent of 28 pigs in their lifetime.
25. Eating vegetables along with fat can help the body better absorb their nutrients. So using a dressing with fat may make a salad with tomatoes and carrots, which are high in fat-soluble carotenoids, more nutritious than using a fat-free one or skipping the dressing altogether
- 10 surprising junk foods facts that will empower you to say no to (Tuesday, 11/10/2016 11:10)
- 10 wrong food combinations that can ruin your health (Wednesday, 12/10/2016 05:10)
- The best anti-aging foods that should be included in your diet (Saturday, 01/10/2016 12:10)
- Zero calorie foods - Foods with no calories (Monday, 26/09/2016 03:09)
- Can sugar go bad? Does sugar go bad? Sugar facts - Food facts (Thursday, 30/06/2016 10:06)
- Can humans eat dog food or cat food? Health facts (Tuesday, 28/06/2016 09:06)
- India food culture - Indian dining etiquette, habits, table manners (Monday, 20/06/2016 11:06)
- Interesting Thailand Food and Thai Cuisine facts (Thursday, 16/06/2016 12:06)
- List of best dog food brands for puppies - Healthy puppy food (Wednesday, 08/06/2016 02:06)
- Top 20 mind blowing ice cream facts for fun (Tuesday, 31/05/2016 10:05)