31 surprising facts about How I Met Your Mother can blow your mind (Part 1)
How I Met Your Mother is an American sitcom that originally aired on CBS from September 19, 2005, to March 31, 2014. The series follows the main character, Ted Mosby, and his group of friends in Manhattan. As a framing device, Ted, in the year 2030, recounts to his son and daughter the events that led him to meeting their mother.
Though 'How I Met Your Mother' is over and we all finally know who the 'mother' is but it still remains one of our favorite TV shows of all time. And here is 31 surprising facts maybe HIMYM fans don't know yet:
1. All of Lyndsy Fonseca and David Henrie’s scenes as Ted’s future children were filmed during the first season to keep them the same age throughout the series. This includes a scene for the show’s eventual final episode that includes the titular Mother which were filmed early in the second season.
Lyndsy Fonseca and David Henrie’s scenes as Ted’s future children
2. Three of the main actors on the show have had their significant others in multiple episodes. Sandy Rivers, the sleazy news anchor, is played by Alyson Hannigan's husband Alexis Denisof, whom she met on the set of Buffy; Taran Killam, Cobie Smulder's husband, played Gary Blauman, the gang dividing GNB worker; Scooter, Lily's obsessed high school ex, is played by David Burtka, Neil Patrick Harris' long term boyfriend and now husband. They all play pretty strongly against type (all three characters are pretty unlikeable people), which makes the cameos all the funnier.
3. After the show ended Josh Radnor kept the blue french horn, Neil Patrick Harris got the Playbook and the gang’s MacLaren’s booth, and the three yellow umbrellas now belong to director Pamela Fryman, as well as creators Craig Thomas and Carter Bays.
4. Ted, Marshall and Lily are based on real people.
When college friends and Late Show with David Letterman writers Carter Bays and Craig Thomas were invited to pitch a network series, they flashed back to 1997, when Bays spent a lot of his time at Thomas's apartment, which he shared with his longtime girlfriend (now-wife) Rebecca, complaining about about being single. In the script, Bays became Ted, Thomas became Marshall, and Rebecca became Lily. Real-life moments like Bays inviting someone to a wedding without realizing he didn’t have a plus-one, or calling Rebecca a “bitch” during a brief breakup with Thomas were written into the series.
5. Many episodes deal with Robin’s past as the teen pop star Robyn Sparkles, including her big hit “Let’s Go to the Mall.” That song is available on the dancing game “Just Dance 3”.
Robin’s past as the teen pop star Robyn Sparkles
6. In an online poll, Victoria played by Ashley Williams was voted as the favorite love interest of Ted on the show. Zoey played by Jennifer Morrison was voted as the least favorite.
7. The "Have you met Ted" pick-up line was from Bays and Thomas's Boss at Letterman.
Late Show co-head writer Justin Stangel invented the pick-up line. When Stangel and Bays were at a bar (usually McGee’s), Stangel would stop a girl walking by and say, “Have you met Carter?” Barney Stinson and several other characters ended up using the line throughout the series.
8. Barney is truly the inventor of the Bro code. According to the number of Google Search, the phrase is non-existent until 2008.
9. Cobie Smulders was diagnosed with ovarian cancer during the third season.
Smulders received the bad news at the age of 25, and kept it a secret from the public. Two years—and several surgeries—later, she was declared cancer-free. Earlier this year, she opened up about her illness for the first time in order to create more awareness about the disease, particularly for young women.
10. Most of the websites featured in the show such as www.canadiansexacts.org and www.stinsonbreastreduction.com are real websites. www.lilyandmarshallselltheirstuff.com was created for charity and items from the show were auctioned off.
11. MacLaren's Pub is named after Carl MacLaren, who is Carter's assistant for the show. That explains why they named the bartender Carl!
12. Both Cobie and Alyson were pregnant during the course of the show. They covered it up with baggy shirts and purses. They used the extremely dirty joke in season four (as told by Barney) to allow Lily to leave the show for a few episodes and have the baby.
13. Ted played by Josh Radnor dated at least 29 women who weren’t the MOTHER
14. Neil Patrick Harris who plays the role of Barney Stinson is actually a talented magician and is also the president of the Magic Castle Club in Los Angeles.
15. Cobie Smulders is from Vancouver. Her character, Robin Scherbatsky, was originally supposed to be from Toronto, but this was changed to make her also from Vancouver.
16. The Mother, Cristin Milioti, had no idea what role she was auditioning for. After a 30-minute Skype interview, they flew her out to LA and even while testing for the role, she read from fake scenes that had nothing to do with HIMYM.
- Why two people decided to get Married at First Sight as other marriages failed (Wednesday, 08/02/2017 03:02)
- The most expensive movie ever made in the world (Monday, 14/11/2016 02:11)
- Things filmmakers should bear in mind - Filmmaking facts (Thursday, 27/10/2016 09:10)
- Top Amazing Interesting Anime Facts - Manga Facts (Wednesday, 26/10/2016 12:10)
- Doctor Strange movie three trailers and release date (Monday, 03/10/2016 05:10)
- The Lion King to return as a live-action movie (Thursday, 29/09/2016 10:09)
- Game of Thrones breaks record at the 68th Primetime Emmy Awards 2016 (Tuesday, 20/09/2016 10:09)
- 68th Primetime Emmy Awards 2016 winners and nominations (Monday, 19/09/2016 10:09)
- Why You're the Worst is one of the best comedy series (Thursday, 01/09/2016 11:09)
- Fear The Walking Dead - Is there anything new? (Wednesday, 24/08/2016 10:08)