Why Do Americans Eat Turkey on Thanksgiving?
When recomending Thanksgiving day, everyone thinks about turkey recipes which is knowns as a symbol of Thanksgiving. So, have you ever wondered why Americans eat turkey on Thanksgiving day? This article will give you the answer.
Turkey recipes on Thanksgiving day
In between making hand turkeys and pilgrim hats, we learned that the colonists celebrated their bountiful harvest in the New World in 1621 by inviting Native Americans for a feast complete with turkey and all of the usual fixings: stuffing, cranberry sauce, and gravy. But it turns out those were tall tales we learned in elementary school. The pilgrims and natives probably stuffed themselves silly with venison, not turkey. So much for keeping that tradition alive!
There were a few forces at work to make turkey the meat du jour for Thanksgiving. Chicken and cows were more valuable to keep around for their eggs and milk than turkeys, which were farmed and hunted for their meat. Plus, one full-grown turkey was large enough to feed a family.
Sarah Josepha Hale deserves much of the credit for making turkey the centerpiece of every Thanksgiving meal. Hale, who first gained notoriety as the author of "Mary Had a Little Lamb," edited Godey's Lady Book, a popular colonial era women’s magazine, and used her power to get Thanksgiving recognized as a national holiday. Her novel Northwood even devoted an entire chapter to the fall holiday. In the book, Hale describes a Thanksgiving feast where the roast turkey is the belle of the ball with savory stuffing and gravy. Hale also included recipes for a turkey roast and pumpkin pie in Godey's, spreading these new traditions to the masses, which they quickly gobbled up.
- Best places in the world to celebrate Halloween (Monday, 31/10/2016 02:10)
- Top Amazing Halloween Traditions Around The World (Monday, 31/10/2016 02:10)
- Moon Festival or Mid Autumn Festival and what you need to know (Thursday, 15/09/2016 11:09)
- Funny happy birthday pictures, pics, images (Wednesday, 14/09/2016 09:09)
- 5 weird festivals in the world that celebrate animals (Friday, 12/08/2016 10:08)
- Tips on how to build a Passover seder plate - Order and ingredients (Tuesday, 31/05/2016 05:05)
- What is Passover? When is Passover? Passover history (Tuesday, 31/05/2016 05:05)
- What is Cinco de Mayo? Cinco de Mayo facts, celebration, history (Tuesday, 31/05/2016 04:05)
- St. Patrick's Day facts, history, tradition, parade, quotes (Monday, 30/05/2016 03:05)
- Interesting random Veterans Day facts for kids (Thursday, 26/05/2016 05:05)