Facts about Yahoo You Don't Know
As the best famous name at the pick period, Yahoo websites give users a chance to find their way online, but it has lost its role as a leader recently.
Let's check out interesting facts about Yahoo company you might not know:
1. Started in 1994 by Stanford University students David Filo and Jerry Yang, Yahoo name stoods for "Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle."
2. Based in Sunnyvale, California, Yahoo has offices around the world and was for years the leading "portal" for the Internet, with a home page that allowed users to click on categories such as sports, finance and movies, or search for information.
Facts about Yahoo
3. It employed 11,700 people. Marissa Mayer was named chief executive in July 2012 but has been cutting staff significantly. As of March 31, its employee count was estimated at 9,400 and falling.
4. Yahoo was once the leading search engine for the Internet but it has been overtaken by Google, which launched in 1998.
5. According to data compiled by Netmarketshare, Yahoo handles just 7.7 percent of global online searches compared with 70 percent for Google and 11 percent for Microsoft's Bing.
6. For online advertising, Yahoo is only expected to take 1.5 percent of the worldwide digital advertising market this year, down from 2.1 percent in 2015, according to eMarketer.
7. With its Web portal, Yahoo remains an important online destination for email, messaging, news, and video. It gets 204 million regular visitors in the United States, according to comScore, which ranks it as the third-largest digital media property in the US.
8. Yahoo's finances have been skewed by its stake in China's Alibaba. It bought a 40 percent stake in Alibaba in 2005 for $1 billion and its current holding is now worth some $30 billion - the vast majority of Yahoo's market value of around $37 billion. It also holds a multibillion-dollar stake in Yahoo Japan. These holdings will not be transferred to Verizon but remain in a separate entity.
9. In 2013, Yahoo moved to attract a younger audience by buying the online blogging platform Tumblr for $1 billion.
10. Yahoo posted a loss of $4.4 billion for 2015, and in its most recent quarter lost another $440 million, having to write down the value of much of its assets. Revenues for 2015 were $4.9 billion.
Keep following to check out more news about Yahoo facts, Yahoo sites as well as other interesting facts of life.
- Top funny text messages from parents to their children - Funny pictures (Monday, 28/11/2016 02:11)
- Funny baby pics, images, photos with captions that make a joyful day (Thursday, 24/11/2016 08:11)
- Here’s how fingers length reveals your personality (Wednesday, 02/11/2016 11:11)
- Top Inspirational Quotes To Inspire and Brighten Your Day (Friday, 21/10/2016 02:10)
- Top Amazing YouTube Facts Will Surprise You (Wednesday, 12/10/2016 02:10)
- Burst out to laugh with short jokes of the day via funny pictures (Monday, 10/10/2016 10:10)
- Unknown facts about WhatsApp you might have missed (Friday, 07/10/2016 02:10)
- Unknown Facts About Facebook Messenger You Should Know (Thursday, 06/10/2016 02:10)
- Yo mama jokes, joke of the day, funny jokes for kids (Saturday, 19/11/2016 07:11)
- Interesting Nobel prize, Nobel laureate, Nobel winners facts (Tuesday, 04/10/2016 02:10)