Interesting facts you probably didn't know about world famous art, paintings (Part 2)
Let's find out interesting crazy random facts about world famous art, artwork, paintings you probably didn't know, from Girl with a pearl earring, American Gothic, Nighthawks, the Persistence of Memory to Autumn Rhythm, Braodway Boogie Woogie, Campbell's Soup Cans. Art Facts
If you want to read world famous art, artwork, sculptures, paintings facts part 1, click here
GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING PAINTING BY JOHANNES VERMEER
Girl with a pearl earring painting - art facts
Much like the Mona Lisa, the subject of Johannes Vermeer’s Girl with a Pearl Earring has been highly contested—but for the most likely candidate, Vermeer didn’t have to look far. The model for his painting is thought to be his daughter Maria.
AMERICAN GOTHIC BY GRANT WOOD
American Gothic by Grant Wood - Famous art facts
Another famous painting with interesting models is Grant Wood’s American Gothic, which can be seen on view in the collection of the Art Institute of Chicago. To depict—for better or worse—the ideals of rural America, Wood wanted to use his mother, Hattie, as a model for his painting. Wood determined that standing for so long would be far too exhausting for his mother, so he had his sister wear his mother’s apron and pin while posing. For the male subject in the painting, Wood used his 62-year-old dentist.
NIGHTHAWKS BY EDWARD HOPPER
Nighthawks Edward Hopper - World famous paintings, art facts
Another painting in the collection of the Art Institute of Chicago is Edward Hopper’s Nighthawks. Hopper allegedly based the painting on a diner that was located in New York City’s Greenwich Village in an area where Greenwich Street meets 11th Street and 7th Avenue called Mulry Square. But he actually based the painting on an all-night coffee stand. “I simplified the scene a great deal and made the restaurant bigger,” he said. “Unconsciously, probably, I was painting the loneliness of a large city.”
THE PERSISTENCE OF MEMORY BY SALVADOR DALI
The persistence of memory painting
Though the notoriously plucky artist Salvador Dali sought to never explain his own work, he has said that the idea for his iconic melting clocks came from chunks of Camembert cheese he observed melting in the sun—although he may have been joking.
AUTUMN RHYTHM (NUMBER 30) BY JACKSON POLLOCK
Abstract Expressionist Jackson Pollock is known for his many drip paintings, all of which he created by placing the canvases horizontally on the floor of his backyard studio and carefully dripping layers of paint onto them. For Autumn Rhythm (Number 30), Pollock created the work using non-traditional items like sticks, trowels, and knives.
BROADWAY BOOGIE WOOGIE BY PIET MONDRIAN
Broadway Boogie Woogie - World famous art facts
Dutch artist Piet Mondrian moved to New York City in 1940, and would base his famous work Broadway Boogie Woogie on the iconic grid layout of the city’s streets.
CAMPBELL’S SOUP CANS BY ANDY WARHOL
Campbells' Soup Cans - Art facts
Andy Warhol’s 1962 Pop Art depiction of a Campbell’s Soup can actually comes in a set of 32 silkscreened canvases, each representing the 32 separate soup varieties that the company sold at the time. Warhol never gave instructions on how to display them, so the Museum of Modern Art arranged them chronologically in the order in which the soups were introduced by the Campbell's.
- 8 of the most interesting paint facts for kids (Monday, 10/10/2016 02:10)
- Interesting French language facts for kids - France facts (Tuesday, 21/06/2016 10:06)
- Interesting random pop art facts, artwork, artists, paintings (Friday, 20/05/2016 11:05)
- Free funny birthday ecards, electronic, email, animated cards online (Thursday, 12/05/2016 09:05)
- Collection of funny, cool, awesome, funky T shirts for men and women (Wednesday, 11/05/2016 04:05)
- Top funny, crazy road, street, bar, warning signs (Wednesday, 11/05/2016 03:05)
- Famous popular company logos and hidden messages in these logos (Wednesday, 11/05/2016 02:05)
- Interesting random facts about the ancient Egyptian pyramids (Friday, 06/05/2016 09:05)
- Interesting facts you probably didn't know about world famous art,... (Thursday, 05/05/2016 10:05)
- London Big Ben Clock Tower - Elizabeth Tower Facts (Sunday, 01/05/2016 08:05)